Carbognano, The Palace called “Stallone”
Documentary evidence confirms that at the end of the XVIII century the building was used as stables and barn by Prince Francesco III Colonna. Today it is not known if the stables were rebuilt on the basis of a pre-existing structure already used for the same function. The local custom refers the realization to the times of Giulia Farnese (beginning of the XVI century). Unfortunately the documents do not support this commonplace. The inventory of the goods of the Lord of Carbognano of 1696 reports a subdivision of the building in two units: a stable on the lower floor – called stallone – and a barn on the upper floor. From the same document we have news of the existence of a coach house, located in the building that overlooks the other side of the square. Until the 90s of the twentieth century, a heraldic coat of arms of the House of Colonna was still placed to decorate the building used as a coach house, the same was moved in those years and still located in the front wall of the main entrance of the town in Piazza Castello, 21.
The facade of the building is divided into two orders defined by a string-course cornice. In the first order three big arches define what once were the entrances to the stable. At the sides of each entrance, two spherical oculi allowed the exchange of air and the entry of light into the rooms.
Similar to the development below above the stringcourse cornice we have three arched windows, each of which has symmetrically arranged, on the sides, pairs of oculi.
The gray color of the local stone (peperino), characterizes the entire linear elevation marked by the simple forms of the module major light in the center and minor lights at the sides (portal windows, oculi windows).
V. ARAMINI, Sicut Archivium inventum fuit”. Gli archivi ecclesiastici di Carbognano (Viterbo). New Ordering
and computerized inventorying. Thesis, Faculty of the University of Tuscia of
Viterbo, Academic Year 2005/2006.
R. CECCARELLI – O. TARTARINI, Carbognano, yesterday, today and tomorrow. 1940.
V. D’ARCANGELI, Carbognano in Tuscia Viterbese. Rome 1968.
R. INNOCENTI, Carbognano. Viterbo 2001.
F. MARTINELLI, Carbognano illuustrato dal signor Fioravante Martinelli. Rome, 1694.
G. SILVESTRELLI, Cities and castles and lands of the Roman region. Rome, 1940.
Historical Archives of Carbognano, Ancient Regime Series 2/7; 2/8; Acts of the Councils. = ASCC, SAR, AD – LC Archivio Storico Comunale di Carbognano, Serie Antico Regime, 7b/3, Libro delle Entrate e delle Uscite del Camerlengo. = ASCC, SAR, LEUC