Carbognano, Municipal Historical Archives

Card Author:

Luca Della Rocca

Location:

Via Sant'Angelo, 41 - Via San Filippo Neri, 57 - 01030 Carbognano (VT)

Date:

XX Secolo
Former headquarters of the Maestre Pie Venerini, The former Domenico Sabuzzi kindergarten building was acquired by the Municipality of Carbognano in the 1970s and restored in the 1990s for use as the Municipal Historical Archives. After the restorations of 2017 are part of the entire multifunctional center in addition to the historical archive, the Ludoteca and the Municipal Library.

Carbognano, Municipal Historical Archives

THE HISTORY

The first news pertaining to the premises where today the Municipal Historical Archives of Carbognano are located dates back to the presence of the school of the Pie Venerini teachers. On August 30, 1685, with the approval of the Bishop of Viterbo, Cardinal Urbano Sacchetti, the first school of Rosa Venerini was founded in Viterbo. This first foundation was part of a large project of a school for women developed from there shortly in other towns of Tuscia Viterbo. From the beginning of 1700 these foundations multiplied, arriving as far as the Cimino area with the center of Carbognano (1710), and following Caprarola (1711), Civitacastellana (1711), Gallese (1715?), Vallerano (1722), and Vignanello (1723), (http://pievenerini.weebly.com/storia-della-santa.html). This connotation of the building for teaching purposes remained until the last century, when the pertinence of the building passed from the Pie Venerini to the Suore Adoratrici del Sangue di Cristo. The nuns managed the religious institute and the kindergarten, named after Domenico Sabuzzi, the former owner who had donated the premises. Thanks to the testimony of Marco Tartarini, then Board Member of the Institute, we know that Sister Maria Leoniddi, aunt of Cardinal Agostino Pallini, then Vicar of the Pope, was the last Mother Superior to preside over the institute and the kindergarten. With the former Regional Law IPAB (Istituzioni Pubbliche di Assistenza e Beneficenza), the property was purchased by the Municipality of Carbognano and after several destinations of use in the 90s was restored with the new connotation of Municipal Archives. Since 2017, the municipal administration has restored the whole building, permanently allocating the Historical Archive to the top floor, while on the first and second floor we find the premises of the playroom and the Municipal Library. Currently, the Historical Archive preserves historical documents ranging from the 15th century to 1961. On December 20, 1996, thanks to a project carried out by the Soprintendenza Archivistica per il Lazio, financed by the resolution of the Lazio Region no. 32 of October 23, 1993, under the technical supervision of Dr. Isabella Orefice, but above all thanks to the care of Prof. Elena Polidori and Dr. Rosalba Quaratino, a reorganization of all the documents in the archives was carried out. At the end of the project, a catalog divided into sections was compiled that allows us to know and search the material available in the archives. An Index of the series provides all the titles of the documentation: “Holders of correspondence; Old Regime Period; French Period and Restoration; Kingdom of Italy Period and Italian Republic Period. There are also preserved the statutes of the Community of Carbognano drawn up in the 15th century and retranscribed in 1590 (Ref. Historical Archives of Carbognano, Ancient Regime Series 2/4, Acts of the Councils, January 6, 1590, cc. 79v. – 80r.) Within the 2nd point treated as an agenda it is explicitly mentioned that: “The Statute is torn and it is proposed to make a copy”. In the conclusive phase of the Council in reference to the 2° point treated the councilors express that: “The proposal…. is accepted”. Therefore just in that seat, seen the condition of the statute “torn”, it was provided to make a new copy, the one that has survived to our days.

DESCRIPTION  – THE EXTERIOR/THE INTERIOR

Just taken the alley of sant’Angelo, going up 20 meters on the left there is a widening. At number 41 of the widening that has the same name of sant’Angelo, a plate shows us the presence of the Historical Archives. As soon as we enter, a small room on the left shows us access to the Archives. A consultable copy of the inventory of the Municipal Historical Archives allows us to find the necessary documentation. The books corresponding to the cataloguing of the Old Regime, being older, are conserved with greater care inside a piece of furniture closed with a padlock. The other documents are subdivided by period on the shelves placed around the room and in the center. An elevator at the end of the room allows access from the street below, Via San Filippo Neri, at number 57. This is the access for the Playroom and the Library, and it is particularly suitable for loading and unloading paper material through the elevator inside the room which leads to the archives.